Tuesday, March 27, 2007

On The Air



I'll show up at a golf course as a single and look to walk on by joining a pair or a threesome who already have a tee time. It's funny the looks or comments you get when you answer the inevitable question on the golf course from a member of your mystery foursome---"...so what do you do for a living?"

Used to tell people I was in the communication business and be vague on purpose...now I just tell them I'm in radio broadcasting.

"Are you a DJ?"

"Used to be years ago but not anymore."

"Oh."

People are fascinated by the media and the people who are in the media...it's not something you run into everyday and most media types want to remain anonymous for purposes of privacy...you would be suprised how many people want to become your friend simply because you might be on the radio. Who needs that?!

Thinking back on all the reasons I got into the business in the first place and being at a crossroads of sorts in my career as a radio broadcaster, I've decided to go back to doing what I enjoy the most--being on the air. I get a kick out of observing the human condition and commenting or better yet I live for the humorous moment that might make one person's life better for just a few ticks of the clock. It's about making a difference, about touching someone's soul, about communication with one another and hey it can be and is a lot of FUN.

What other job can offer that?

Not many I can think of.

No comments: